Monday, August 22, 2011

How it all started


It all started because we were foodies. We liked good food and liked to cook. Then my husband started brewing beer. He had always wanted to, but was intimidated. Then he met a guy who brewed, the guy invited him over and they started having weekly brewing get togethers. Occasionally, wine would get made too. We experimented with peach wine, strawberry wine, all from central-Texas producers.

Then came the herbs. Every time I would go to the grocery store I would be amazed how much fresh rosemary cost, especially when I needed just a few tablespoons. I’d use what I needed and the rest would go bad. I started by planting herbs, with various degrees of success. I haven’t bought rosemary in more than three years.

Still, as I was cooking, I’d be amazed by all the vegetable peels that went down the garbage disposal. One day I was looking at a magazine at my hairdressers and saw a counter-top composter. I could put peels in here then take it out to the big composter. So the search for a composter began. We bought one and got started.

Somewhere along the way we started doing more shopping at farmer’s markets. This was about the same time my husband read Michael Pollan’s books about the food supply chain. Then we learned about CSAs (community supported agriculture). This is where you buy a “share” and each week get a section of produce delivered to you. It was fun for awhile, forcing us to cook at home and try new vegetables, however, after awhile we realized two busy people couldn’t eat that much in a week. Plus, August in Texas meant our box was filled with peppers and other stuff. $30 worth of peppers is A LOT of peppers. We decided not to renew our subscription and go back to the farmer’s market. We figured for $30 a week, we’d buy what we wanted.

But even that wasn’t the final answer. Pflugerville had a communitygarden. Residents could get a 20x20 for $50; this included all the water. I was skeptical, knowing how we sometimes get “out of sight, out of mind,” but hubby rented a plot. Then a second. Now we’re spending a few hours each Saturday and Sunday working the garden, plus hubby stops by after work to water.

Starting with the CSA, we began canning. At some point when you have more okra than you can eat, you have to learn to do that. Our town offered free low-flow toilets and shower heads. Since we were remodeling our bathrooms, that was a no brainer. Somewhere along the way my husband learned to make cheese. One of my biggest prides is when I can serve a caprese salad, with basil and tomatoes I grew and mozzarella we made. (Too bad we don’t make our own olive oil.)

We’re not perfect, but have made huge strides, which is the purpose of this blog. I was sitting in a Leadership Austin class on the natural environment. One of the speakers talked about sustainability and said she never buys new clothes; she swaps out her clothes with others. You couldn’t help looking at her and think, “and you can tell.” A room of 55 professionals – no one was going to do that. And we weren’t going to give up our cars either, like she did. There were other speakers that day, but they discussed big picture, policy issues. It was hard for anyone in the class to walk away with things they could do for themselves to live more sustainably. The idea of this blog was born that day.

The purpose is to tell our story and show little ways folks can become more sustainable. It may be a hodge-podge of things, including gardening, cooking, cool items and random thoughts. I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment